Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dreaming of large beers

Yesterday we said goodbye to Sven and Carlos, the outgoing winter-overs. Sven is kneeling on the ground and Carlos is between Felipe on the left and Blaise on the right.

The flight which took Sven and Carlos away after five WIPAC people got off. WIPAC is the umbrella organization for a group of Antarctic physics projects, and this year people at the Pole are either from the IceCube or ARA (Askaryan Radio Array) WIPAC projects.

Next week, 5 more people will arrive, and 3 more on the 27th. After that, I don't care because I'll be leaving before the next set of passengers arrives :-)

Yesterday I managed to write a software utility that I've wanted for YEARS. It's something that will help me figure out exactly what went wrong after the DAQ software has failed. Unfortunately, I generally only think about this while we're in the middle of an emergency when I don't have time to write this tool. As I've written before, the best thing about working at the South Pole is that it allows me to focus on work without most of the distractions of day-to-day life.

I used the new tool to analyse the data from a test run of the next release of the DAQ software, the Capital release. Each release of the DAQ software has a name, and the current theme is "Wisconsin Microbreweries". We're currently running Ale_Asylum, the release being evaluated is Capital, and new development is happening as part of Furthermore.

Now it's time for me to get back to work -- or maybe just daydreaming about having a beer!

No comments: