Sunday, November 11, 2012

Settling in

I've now spent almost 2 days at the Pole, so I'm almost fully adjusted. Because it's a low-oxygen environment, I try to take it easy the first few days and avoid any strenuous physical activity -- which is not a huge change since I also try to do that back home :-)

Yesterday, my first full day, I did go out to the ceremonial Pole marker, maybe a 5 minute walk, for a Veteran's Day ceremony. All the station's military veterans were there and one man gave a brief speech, then we adjourned to the galley for a Missing Man ceremony and cake.

Our winter-overs, who have been here without a break since January or February, graciously delayed their departure a day so that we Northerners could talk to them. Today I spent an hour talking with them about detector operations, listing all the problems they had or improvements they might like. Fortunately, not ALL their complains were about my software!

Today I'll do my weekly single load of laundry and tomorrow I'll work out for 20 minutes or so and then take my first 2-minute shower since leaving Christchurch!

No comments: