Friday, January 15, 2010

Frozen treats and other sweets

One of the most treasured machines at the South Pole is the Frosty Boy, a soft-serve ice cream machine. Unfortunately, Frosty Boy spends a lot of time either broken down or out of ice cream.

As a stopgap measure, the head cook had a bunch of ice cream treats delivered from New Zealand ... I've seen popsicles, Drumstick-like ice cream cones, and chocolate coated ice cream bars. He also sent out a warning that if everyone has a frozen treat with every meal, we've only got enough to last for a couple of weeks, but if people only have one a day, we'll make it to the end of the season.

Fortunately, the ever-present (and legendary) cookie cart keeps my sweet tooth satisfied! So far I've come back with one new cookie recipe each year

The first year, they had some incredible s'mores bars which I've since made a few times -- when I brought Christmas cookies down to my parents' house for the holiday, one of my nieces asked if I'd brought s'mores bars as well

The second year, they had some really good cranberry and white chocolate chip cookies which are a big hit with my family.

I haven't found the "must have" recipe this year, but I've been here less than a week!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you do anything besides eat down there?

Dave Glowacki said...

There's sleeping, not sleeping, trying to sleep

There's also working ... I average at least 10 hours/day every day.

So food is a nice highlight to the day, especially when it turns out to be good!