Sunday, January 03, 2010

Boomeranging

One thing I hope to avoid tomorrow is the dreaded boomerang.

It's about a 5 hour flight from Christchurch to McMurdo on the coast of Antarctica. Because the weather can always change in Antarctica, it's possible for us to leave Christchurch and have a bad storm blow in before we arrive. There's a point in each flight where the pilots decide whether they need to turn back. If they do that, it's called a boomerang flight.

I've never had that happen, though one of the other IceCube people I'll be flying with tomorrow was on a flight which boomeranged, and then the next three flights were cancelled, so he didn't get to McMurdo until 5 days after he was scheduled to arrive there. I'm hoping I'll never experience a boomerang flight, though I have had one cancelled flight ... a horrible hardship when you're forced to spend another summer day roaming around Christchurch rather than pulling on all your winter gear and going to work at the South Pole!

No comments: