Monday, January 05, 2009

At the Pole!

I made it back to the South Pole yesterday!

The flight was about the best possible. It was half-empty with no cargo except our luggage, and since there were only 19 people it was easy to get up and look out the windows or go into the cockpit to look around. The flight to McMurdo was also pretty good -- I was on the end of a bench, so I could stretch my legs out diagonally. Because I've obviously used all my good luck on those two flights, I'm expecting the flights back to be utter hell!

Internet coverage at the South Pole is via satellites, and we only have satellite coverage for ~11 hours a day (starting at around midnight). I'm not sure what my schedule it this year, so I may not be able to update this blog as frequently as I did last time.

No comments: