Monday, December 02, 2013

Late night

I've had a short day today and the last satellite pass is coming to an end, so this will be a quick post.

The phone in my room rang at 1AM this morning. The detector was having problems. I stumbled from my room to B2 and Ralf (a former IceCube winter-over and current IT expert), Ian (current IceCube winter-over), and I tried to puzzle out what was wrong.

We eventually involved John, an expert in the North (well, the Northern Hemisphere ... everywhere is north from here) and have a rough idea of the problem, though we don't have a fix yet.

I got back to sleep by 5AM, woke up again at 9:30AM and managed to get in a 35 minute session on the elliptical machine before lunch!

The station had plans to do some blasting at the Old Station today but those were postponed until tomorrow.

Here's a quick pic of the view out my room window. If you go back and look at the picture I posted of my room, it may not be obvious that I have a window. That's because the dorm room windows are usually covered up with cardboard to block out the 24 hour sun.

No comments: