Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Starting back tomorrow

After a couple of VERY busy days, I'll start the journey back home tomorrow. I got a few small tasks done and helped the winter-overs with a couple of other things, but there's only so much you can do in 60 hours.

I've got a few more pictures to post and I'll take a few more tomorrow (including a "hero selfie" at the Pole) but barring weather or mechanical difficulties I'll be sleeping in a McMurdo dorm tomorrow, a Christchurch hotel room the next night, and then the 30-40 hour flights back home.

Even with all the difficulties and delays, it was good to come back to this place. I'm currently enjoying one of the little pleasures of life here, a room filled with wet laundry! As I've mentioned before, the South Pole is literally one of the driest places on Earth because it literally freezes the moisture out of the air. I washed some clothes for the 3-4 days of travel, hung up the pair of jeans and the socks in my room, and now it's wonderfully humid!

I'll let you know how the journey went (and maybe I'll manage to squeeze in another post from Christchurch)

2 comments:

John Jacobsen said...

Sixty hours! Wow! Glad you made it at least and got to enjoy damp clothes in your room.

Two for Tonga said...

Looking forward to welcoming you back. Safe journey!