Monday, November 13, 2017

Hanging in CHC

I woke up at 4:30AM as usual and at 4:40AM got the call that we'd been delayed for 3 hours. At 7AM I grabbed all my stuff and checked out, then went to wait for the 7:15 shuttle. Someone there told the flight had been cancelled but the hotel had already booked our rooms for the night (it's Trotting Cup Day) so we'd have to move. Luckily a co-worker hadn't checked out yet so I stashed my bag in her room and we went to a coffee shop to eat and kill time until 10AM, when we found out we'd be moving to the Crowne Plaza in the City Center. It's a new hotel in a better location so quite an improvement over the Pavilions.

The group of WIPAC people I'm travelling with are going to another venerable institution this evening, Dux Central! This is the new version of Dux DeLux (pictured here -->), a casualty of the 2011 earthquake. The old Dux was a much-loved gathering place for people travelling to and from the Pole featuring great beer and great vegetarian food so I'm looking forward to seeing if the new version measures up to the original.

Unfortunately there was some bad news on the rumor mill. People here and co-workers in McMurdo have both heard that a 3-day storm is moving in, and that there probably won't be any more flights until Friday or Saturday -- it's Tuesday here since we're on the other side of the International Date Line from the U.S. I'm sure we'll still need to get up every morning at an ungodly hour just in case the weather clears, but it's much better than staying in McMurdo!

4 comments:

John Jacobsen said...

Where is the new Dux?!? Higher resolution pictures, please! :-)
Safe travels!!!

Dave Glowacki said...

Unfortunately, it's not the sprawling, tree-covered veranda of olden days. More of a bar with a covered courtyard. They still have a wide selection of beers but their menu doesn't have as many vegetarian options (or banoffee pie). However, the BBQ seafood pizza I chose was really good, as were both the ginger beer and the bitters. So maybe I'm just a cranky old man misremembering the past :-)

John Jacobsen said...

> maybe I'm just a cranky old man misremembering the past

Nothing wrong with that.

Is the new Dux in the same old location?

-Cranky old man misremembering the past

Dave Glowacki said...

Sorry, forgot to answer that question. It's City Center-ish, not sure what else was there since most landmarks have been erased. You can look for Dux Central in maps.google.com -- I can't because MCM bandwidth ;-)

I had a couple of pics from Dux, but they weren't very good so I erased them. The only ones I kept were pics of the Men's/Women's rooms which are NSFW-ish photos. Backlit silhouettes of a person of the appropriate gender doing what one does after consuming mass quantities of beer. If you want those you'll have to catch me after I've returned to the land of abundant bandwidth