Saturday, November 11, 2017

Some people never learn


I'm on my way back to the Pole!

I left Madison Thursday morning and 38 hours later I was in my hotel in Christchurch. There was a bit of confusion on the last leg on my flight from Auckland to Christchurch but the trip was otherwise as uneventful as any globe-spanning can be.




I made the pilgrimage to Christchurch's City Center which was almost completely destroyed by the 2011 earthquake. Much of the area is still fenced off and/or propped up but there are finally signs of progress which weren't there during my last trip in 2013.

I'm off to dinner now, then I need to repack and get ready for my 4:30AM wake-up call. If all goes well, our 6AM flight will land at McMurdo base in Antarctica!

2 comments:

Honbon said...

Yay south polack is back!!

losmills said...

Can you believe?... It's been nearly 8 years since the quake, and they're still fighting over whether to rebuild that cathedral or knock it down.